Where should the money come from?

If the gas tax isn't a good way to fund roads, where should the money come from?

The Star Tribune has quotes from people who think that more lanes and more roads are a great idea. But gas costs too much, so the money should come from somewhere else ...

"I think gas prices are high enough the way it is," said [name deleted to prevent embarrasment], 44, of Apple Valley, mother of three sons.

Higher pump prices have been especially tough on "people who have kids and are driving all over the place," [name deleted] said. Roads do need improving, in her opinion, but "I think they should find another way to get the money."
....
That includes [name deleted], 39, of Ramsey, who drives for a living making linen deliveries.

"Obviously, we need to expand capacity -- add more lanes," he said. "But any addition to the price of gas I'm totally against. It's too high right now to consider."

Where do they find these people? Do they have screening questions that find people who want the government to find the money "somewhere else," but can't actually identify where that somewhere might be.

Now I'm not sure what these people's other political views are, but in general it astonishes me how socialist midwestern American views are about funding and providing roads, co-existing with a scepticism about government action in other areas.

Posted by robe0419 at May 9, 2005 1:54 PM