Crossing the Brandywine

It snowed overnight in Delaware. I knew I wasn't in Minneapolis when I heard them talking about the "bitter" overnight temperatures—in the low 20s, ha!—that we'll be having.

But it was perfect today, an inch or so of snow, about 28° at 6am, and I was able to use the half-light of early dawn to get to the Brandywine Creek trails just as the sun peeked over the horizon. Some famous people have crossed the Brandywine. I had the advantage of not being chased by Redcoats, while lugging a sleeping roll, a musket and shot, and hard rations.

The high 20s are such a great temperature for running, though there will be much colder between now and March in Minneapolis. Bring it on! Ron Daws is still right: it's much easier to train in the cold than the heat. I used that quote from Daws in my Running Times article about winter running gear (hats, mainly). It's not online, you have to buy the January/February issue. Go buy it!

To inspire you to get out and run, here are some views near Brandywine Creek in the snow that I took on my run today.

Looking west along Brandywine Creek from the Rockland Rd bridge

Trail on the northern bank of the creek, part of the Northern Delaware Greenway

Looking east from the state highway 92 bridge

Trail on the south side of the creek

Looking across Brandywine Creek from the south bank (true right)

I also saw a fox scuttle up from the creek where it was drinking.

Posted by robe0419 at December 7, 2005 7:39 AM