Wellyopolis

12 point plan

There's more pressure, encouragement and desire for graduate students to publish these days. With that comes a new effort by departments to teach their graduate students how to do so. We were going to have a little panel discussion about this topic at the University of Minnesota History Department a couple of weeks ago, but then it snowed ... and the event got canceled.

This bemused me because I'd been "good," and written up my notes for what I was going to say well in advance. If I'd procrastinated and waited 'til the day before, I wouldn't have a 4 page set of notes (really, I type quickly) hanging round that I won't get any "credit" for. Since one of the things I say in the advice is, "don't write anything you can't use twice," it was a crying shame to write four pages, albeit rough, and not use it even once. Ain't the internet grand for such things? And if I might say so myself I thought what I had to say was marginally helpful, with this nifty 12 point plan for graduate students who wanted to publish.

So, here it is:

1. Read about and write a paper on the historiography of your topic in a seminar
  2. Do some original research as a directed research / Masters paper / early draft of dissertation chapter
  3. Put it aside for a little while, and then revise based on comments of your advisor and some graduate school colleagues (Form writing groups for reviewing essays)
  4. Go to a conference.
  5. Get feedback on paper from people who don't care as much about your topic as your advisors and friends and you have to.
  6. Evaluate how much work is needed to submit to a journal.
  7. Revise for a journal.
  8. Get a revise-and-resubmit from the journal
  9. Respond to suggestions and criticism
  10. Send it back in a timely fashion
  11. Deal with page proofs (much easier these days)
  12. List on your CV.

If you get a rejection you return to an earlier point in the plan, and try again. That might make it 13 points. The full notes I jotted down are here.

Update, 6 April: Re-reading this, I notice that some of the language is specific to historians, and some again is specific to the University of Minnesota history department. I trust that anyone clever enough to be in graduate school can abstract from the language that is specific to the historical profession to their own field, and think critically about how to adapt it to their own needs. In the pdf version I've annotated what I think are the least clear terms, those that are specific to my own department.

Posted by eroberts at March 23, 2007 6:15 AM