Why I love public transport!

You can listen to other people's conversations, and they are quite interesting.

I don't catch the bus that often these days. Indeed, living on the Mairangi bus route in Wellington (Twin Cities residents familiar with the #2 will know what I mean) I go out of my way to avoid catching the bus. In a normal week this involves running to and from work, but I'm tapering for a Sunday marathon, so no double runs this week. This leaves me with the bus. The Mairangi is notoriously never on its schedule, and doesn't go frequently enough that you can just go out and wait in the expectation one will be along in 5 minutes. But today a bus came pretty quickly, and it was just full enough to contain interesting conversations by other people, but not so full you couldn't listen to them.

It's a very relaxing thing to do after your own work day. You can listen to people talking about where they had dinner for their father's birthday, what they are doing on the weekend, when their university assignments are due, etc ... Nothing scandalous, but that's the pleasure of it. Without knowing the rest of these people's lives you can imagine them to be much more interesting than they really are. It sure beats listening to the news or thinking ones own thoughts after a long day.

Posted by eroberts at May 27, 2008 4:04 AM